||• Oakland Raiders
||• Born: 3/2/78
- Sebastian claims that as
a senior at Seabreeze High School he made field goals of 72 yards and
77 yards (with the wind) in practice.
- During his brief high school
soccer career, Sebastian scored 69 goals in 24 games.
- At a practice
sophomore year at Florida State, teammate Abdul Howard blocked
one of his field goal attempts. The impact was so severe that Howard
broke his hand. One of his fingers is still disfigured.
- For his career at Florida
State, Sebastian hit on 66 of 83 field goals, including season longs
of 56, 53 and 54 yards.
- When the Raiders took Sebastian
with the 17th pick in the 2000 NFL draft, he became the first placekicker
to be selected in the first round since Russell Erxleben was chosen
11th by the New Orleans Saints in 1979. The highest pick ever used for
a kicker was in 1966, when the Redskins took Charlie Gogolak at #6.
128 points in 2002 is the second best mark in team history. Jeff
Jaeger set the
franchise record with 132 points in 1993.
- In a 2008 game against the Chargers, Sebastian attempted a 76-yard field goal right before halftime. The kick was no good, but is believed to be the longest field goal attempt in NFL history. The previous record was 74 yards, by Mark Moseley.
- In 2009, Sebastian became just the second player in NFL history with two field goals of 59 or more yards. The first was Morten Andersen.
- Sebastian is the highest-scoring player in Raiders’ history. He surpassed George Blanda’s record of 863 points in 2009.
- In 2011, Sebastian set a team record with six field goals in a game against the Bears.
- Sebastian is one of only four players to make a field goal from 63 yards. The others are Tom Dempsey (1970), Jason Elam (1998) and David Akers (2012).
- Sebastian’s nickname
on the Raiders is “Sea Bass.”
- Sebastian has achieved one
goal of particular importance. He brought his mother to the U.S. In
fact, his parents have reconciled, and now both live in Florida. Halina
takes classes at the University of South Florida.
- The Raiders included
a clause in Sebastian’s rookie contract that said he must return $25,000
to the team for any game missed because of a suspension. He also had to submit
to NFL drug testing.
- Sebastian and his wife, Lori, had twin girls in September of 2012.
Jeff Jaeger, 1992 Upper Deck
Black Book Partners archives