||JockBio Vital Stats
||• New York Mets
||• Height: 5' 11"
|• Weight: 193
||• Born: 10/25/71
- Pedro was nicknamed
“Enyo” as a child.
- When Pedro and
his brothers needed a ball for their games, they sometimes “borrowed”
a head from one of their sisters’ dolls.
- Pedro and his brothers
were excellent volleyball players when they were kids. The sport is
very popular in the Dominican Republic.
- Pedro knows his
way around an engine. He made money as a mechanic as a teenager.
- When Pedro was
traded from Los Angeles to the Expos, Montreal teammate Marquis Grissom
announced that it was the “deal of the century... for the Dodgers.”
- When the Dodgers
told Ramon and Pedro they could not pitch in the Dominican Winter League,
they formed a softball team to tour the country so Dominicans could
still see their heroes in action. Ramon played first, Jesus center field
and Pedro was the DH.
- In 1997, Pedro
became the first righthander to register 300+ strikeouts with a sub-2.00
ERA since Walter Johnson in 1912.
- Pedro can get very
talkative in the dugout on days when he’s not pitching. In 1999,
he was driving his Red Sox teammates so crazy they tied him to a pole
until he shut up.
- In 1999, Pedro
became the first pitcher in history to have 300-strikeout seasons in
- Pedro entered the
2005 season with a .705 winning percentage—the best among pitchers
with 200 or more decisions. Whitey Ford and Dave Fultz are right behind
him at .690.
- Pedro beat the Atlanta Braves for the 200th game of his career in 2006. At the time, his .704 winning percentage was the fourth-highest in history among pitchers at the time of their 200th victory.
- Pedro struck out his 3,000th batter on September 3rd, 2007. His victim was Aaron Harang of the Cincinnati Reds.
- At the start of 2008, Pedro had the lowest ERA at Shea Stadium of all active pitchers.
- Pedro has struck out 15 or more batters in a game 10 times—the third highest total in major league history.
- When Pedro got his 100th road win, he had just 42 road losses. Whiety Ford (35 losses) was the only pitcher in history with fewer road losses at the time of his 100th road win.
- In his prime, Pedro
was timed at under one second to the plate with men on base.
- Pedro once suggested
the Yankees bring Babe Ruth back from the grave so he could drill the
- Pedro estimates
that more than a dozen of his relatives, including cousins, have played
- Pedro says the
two best clutch hitters in baseball are Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds.
- Pedro’s favorite
films are The Passion of the Christ, Titanic and Shrek.
His favorite actor is Harrison Ford. If a movie is ever made of his
life, Pedro wants Denzel Washington to play him.
- Pedro is an honorary
colonel in the Dominican Air Force.
- Pedro has built
an elementary school in his hometown and plans to construct a library,
police station and health clinic. He has already purchased the land
for a new high school. He says he will be the baseball coach and hopes
one day to be a child psychologist.
- Pedro and Ramon
started a window company in Manoguayabo to bring new jobs to their hometown.
- Pedro repurchased
the land on which his childhood home stood and constructed a compound
of houses around it for his friends and family. He bought his mother
a house in the mountains.
2003 Topps Fan Favorite