||• New York Yankees
||• Born: 10/22/73
- In 1994, from May 21 to
August 26, Ichiro reached base at least once in each of the 69 games
the Orix Blue Wave played.
- Ichiro was the
first player in MLB history to top 200 hits in each of his first four
- Ichiro eclipsed
the record for hits by a rightfielder in 2004. It was previously
held by Chuck Klein, who collected 250 for the Philadelphia Phillies
- From 2001 to
2004, Ichiro amassed more hits (922) than anyone in history over
any four-year period. Bill Terry held the
- During one 56-game
stretch in 2004, Ichiro batted over .450. During Joe DiMaggio’s
56-game hitting streak, he batted .408.
- Ichiro batted
over .400 against lefties in 2004.
- Ichiro led Japan to the World Baseball Classic championship in 2006.
- n 2007, Ichiro set an AL by stealing 45 consecutive bases.
- In 2007, Ichiro passed Julio Cruz as the Mariners’ all-time base thief.
- Ichiro led the AL in hits each year from 2006 to 2010.
- Prior to the 2009 season, Ichiro got the winning hit against South Korea in the championship game of the World Baseball Classic.
- In 2009, Ichiro hit his first walk-off homer, against closer Mariano Rivera.
- Ichiro grounded into a double play in the 2009 season opener and then didn’t ground into another all season long.
- In 2010, Ichiro became the first player in history to begin his career with 10 consecutive 200-hit seasons.
- Ichiro finished his career in Seattle as the M’s all-time hit leader, passing Edgar Martinez in 2011.
- Heading into 2012, Ichiro had 35 leadoff homers to tie Barry Bonds for 5th place on the all-time list.
- Only three players collected their 2,500th hit faster than Ichiro—Al Simmons, Ty Cobb and George Sisler.
- Only Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente have won more Gold Gloves in the outfielder than Ichiro.
- Before each All-Star Game he played, Ichiro delivered a hysterical profanity-laced pep talk to his fellow American Leaguers. For many years, David Ortiz claimed this tradition was why the AL won.
- With reporters
and photgraphers camped outside his house, Ichiro had to think of
ways to leave without being
seen. To make a date with Yumiko one evening, he had friends roll him up
in a carpet and toss him in the back of a pickup truck.
- Ichrios contract
with Seattle includes the following perks: English lessons for he and
a personal trainer, an interpreter, an annual housing allowance between
$25,000 and $27,000, four round-trip, first-class plane tickets from
Japan to Seattle
twice a year, and the use of a car during spring training and the regular
- Ichiro was initially
hesistant when the Mariners issued him number 51. To avoid insulting
its former owner,
Randy Johnson, Ichiro forwarded a personal message to the Big Unit promising
not to bring shame to the uniform.
Chuck Klein, 1939 Play Ball
1973 Topps Candy
Al Simmons, 1928 Exhibit