||• Miami Heat
||• Born: 1/17/82
- Despite gaudy numbers
as a senior at H.L. Richards High School (27 ppg and 11 rpg), Dwyane
finished seventh in balloting for Mr. Basketball in Illinois. Darius Miles
won the award; Eddy Curry was among those who also got more votes than
- Dwyane wasn’t
allowed to suit up for games during his freshman campaign at Marquette,
but he did participate in—and win—the team’s Midnight
Madness dunk contest.
- Dwyane played on
a traveling all-star team in Italy in the summer of 2001 for Bill Van
Gundy, the father of former Heat head coach Stan Van Gundy.
- When Dwyane won
Most Outstanding Player at the 2001 Great Alaska Shootout, he joined
an impressive list of honorees, including Antawn Jamison, Ray Allen,
Sean Elliot, Glen Robinson, Ron Mercer and Steve Smith.
- With 29 points,
11 rebounds and 11 assists against Kentucky in the 2003 NCAA Tournament,
Dwyane joined Magic Johnson and Andre Miller as the only players to
produce a triple-double during March Madness.
- Dwyane was named
both Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year for Conference
USA in 2003.
- Dwyane started
for the Rookies in the Rookie Challenge at the 2004 All-Star Weekend.
He finished the game with 22 points, four assists and three rebounds
in 27 minutes.
seven games with at least 20 points in the 2004 postseason were the
most by a rookie in the NBA Playoffs since David Robinson had nine in
1990. Dwyane also tied Alonzo Mourning (1997 and 2000) for the most points in
a single playoff season by a Heat player.
- Dwyane’s 21 free throws in Game 5 of the 2006 NBA Finals set a championship record.
- Dwyane averaged 34.7 points in the 2006 NBA Finals.
- Dwyane was credited with five blocked shots in a 2008 game against the Toronto Raptors.
- During an 11 game stretch in 2008–09, Dwyane scored at least 41 points points six times.
- Dwyane scored a career-high 50 points against the Orlando Magic in a 2008-09 game. He matched that total three weeks later against the Utah Jazz.
- Dwyane set a personal high in a 2008-09 game against the Cleveland Cavaliers with seven steals.
- In 2008, Dwyane became only the second player to score 40 points, dish out 10 assists and reject five shots in a game. The first was Alvan Adams.
- In 2008–09, Dywane became the first NBA player shorter than 6–5 to have 100 blocks in a season.
- In 2009, Dwyane became only the second player to have a 15-assist game after a 50-point game. The first was Wilt Chamberlain.
- In 2009-10, Dwyane set a Heat record when he played in his 148th consecutive game.
- Dwyane lit up the Houston Rockets for 45 points in a December 2010 game.
- In a March 2011 game against the Rockets, Dwyane, Chris Bosh and LeBron James became only the second threesome in history to each have 30-point, 10-rebound nights—matching Oscar Robertson, Wayne Embry and Jack Twyman, who did it in 1961.
- In 2010–11, Dwyane set career highs with 123 offensive rebounds and 362 defensive rebounds. He set a single-game high with 16 rebounds against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.
- In 2010–11, Dwyane was one of only five NBA players to attempts 1200 shots and hit at least half of them.
- During the 2011 NBA Finals, Dwyane became the team’s all-time leader in postseason games.
- The Heat were just the third team in history to win the NBA Finals after dropping the first two games. The 1969 Boston Celtics and 1977 Portland Trail Blazers were the first two.
- Dwyane was a member of the gold-medal U.S. Olympic team in 2008. He led the team in scoring.
- Dwyane and Alonzo Mourning established a fund to help victims of the Haitian earthquake in 2010.
- Dwyane majored
in broadcasting at Marquette. He hopes to be an announcer when his playing
career is over.
- Dwyane wears a
size 15 shoe.
- Dwyane drives a
Cadillac Escalade. He and his family live in a five-bedroom home in
the Doral area of Miami.
- Dwyane donated
10% of his rookie salary to the Blood, Water and the Spirit Ministry,
his hometown church in Chicago.
- The unusual spelling
of Dywane’s first name is a proofreader’s nightmare. SLAM magazine once ran an entire feature on him calling him “Dwayne.”
- Among Dwyane’s
- Football team - Chicago Bears
- Musical Artist - 50 Cent
- Movies - Love and Basketball, Remember the Titans, He Got Game and Boomerang
- Food - chicken and mashed potatoes
- Country - Italy
- In 2005, Dwyane
was named one of People magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People.
- In 2011, Dwyane unveiled his first signature shoe, the Fly Wade, with the Jordan footwear brand.
- Dwyane says he would make a good receiver if he played in the NFL.
- Dwyane includes yoga, pilates and boxing to stay in shape during the offseason.
Chrish Bosh, 2010 Elite
2002 SI for Kids