||• Detroit Tigers
6' 5 "
||• Born: 2/20/83
- In Little League,
some children would start crying in the on-deck circle when they saw
how fast Justin threw.
- Justin was doing
long-toss before he knew what it was. By high school, he could throw
a baseball the length of a football field.
- Justin is the all-time
strikeout leader at Old Dominion.
- Before Justin,
the last ODU hurler to make an impact in the majors was Wayne Gomes
of the Philadelphia Phillies.
1.11 ERA at three levels in 2005 was the best of any pitcher in the
manager with the AA Erie Seawolves was former New York Mets hero Duffy Dyer.
- In a 2006 game against the Oakland A’s, Justin and relievers Joel Zumaya and Fernando Rodney each reached triple-digits on the radar gun.
- Justin allowed just one stolen base his rookie year. Seven runners attempting to steal were thrown out.
- Justin did not
give up more than one earned run in any of his July 2006 starts.
- Justin was named AL Rookie of the Year in 2006.
- Justin pitched 240 innings in 2009 to lead the majors.
- Justin notched his 1,000th career strikeout in April of 2011. He won his 100th game later that year.
- Justin struck out a career-high 14 batters in a 2011 game.
- In 2011, Justin joined Willie Hernandez, Denny McLain and Hal Newhouser as the only Detroit pitchers to win the AL MVP award.
- Justin and Clayton Kershaw each won the pitching Triple Crown in 2011. It marked the first time since 1924 this had happened in both leagues.
- Justin and Virgil Trucks are the only Tigers with multiple no-hitters.
Joel Zumaya, 2004 Bowman
1985 The Sporting New Baseball Register